Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Life in the White Mountains

Hello again!
It's been a little while since I have updated here, but I certainly have a lot less say in what I do when while I am here! I am really enjoying it however, and have a little more time this week as we have no campers at the camp, and so are spending most of the time doing training or group building activities. These don't just include initiative activities, but also going to the movies, which is fun! It's been great getting to know the group, and just relaxing with people my age. Last week was the real highlight for me though, with about 50 campers from years 9-12, basically participating in youth group activities, which has given me lots of ideas for youth groups when I get back! I took a more laid back approach, and tended to not lead many activities, because I was really interested in what kinds of activities and discussions the leaders here took. I'm looking forward to doing a little more leading next week however, and putting an Aussie spin on it all! I think the camp's also going through an interesting time in terms of leadership- the coordinator here only began last year, and has changed several things about the camp and the program. Because many of the staff or campers have been coming here for up to 11 years, this has caused a bit of upset, but it's been really interesting for me to play spectator to how that plays out, but also how the problems are worked through and dealt with. Not really what I was expecting when I came here, but still a great learning curve for me.
Again, I'd love to chat to some of you and I do have more time this week, so please let me know if you want to call! Call cards are cheap! 14 hours behind you though, so either morning or late evening please!
Hope everyone's doing well, I'll talk to you all soon!
Laura

1 comment:

Kaye said...

Put up photos of the camp! (Andrew put some good instructions up a few blogs ago)
Sounds like you're getting some holidaying time, good stuff. Probably movies that won't come out here till you're back too (!), what did you see?