Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back in the Hostel!



Thank you so much to all the people who emailed me and posted comments! It's very exciting for me when I log and find out that I haven't been forgotten yet! The last couple of days have been very interesting, and i'm not quite sure what I think yet, so if I contradict myself or ramble you'll have to forgive me! Firstly though, I now have a mobile so I am contactable! The number to use is +14155686478, and for all those on 3, it should be in your cap! Although it does cost me 35 cents to recieve it, and we could talk for 3 minutes for that if you go and buy one of those fabulous call cards! Soo... go buy one!
Anyway, San Francisco Rescue mission is located in the Tenderloin district, which has about 25000 people living within the one square mile, and has the highest crime rate in SF. There's a lot of black americans, and it's the kind of thing you see in a movie. Basically, you hold you're bag really tight and stare at the ground when you walk through, and I heard something about a shooting happening there today...
So the rescue mission has a couple of focuses. They have started a school, which was the first one in the district. I think this was my favourite, or least controvertial, mission, the school just seemed to have a really nice vibe. The teachers all lived in community in the main building, and they just really seemed to care about their students. It's a very small school (less than 40 kids) but they hope to grow to over 100 when they finish renovating the building. Pretty sure the teachers don't get paid or anything, and they gave the kids goodbye hugs and things like that. It just had the feel of being a really nice community,a nd the older kids helped out the little ones a lot and stuff. Just a really awesome thing.
The other mission where I spent a lot of my time was the rescue mission.I wasn't really sure what that was before I went, but basically it's a combination between a soup kitchen and a church. They have trolleys full of stuff donated to them everyday, and a lot of this seemed to be delivered to houses, and handed out and stuff, but they also served a lunch and hot dinner everyday. The only catch is that if you wanted food, you had to sit through a half hour service first, and they actually locked the door to stop people sneaking in and getting food without going to the service. Not really sure what I think about this, but it was very clear from the start that they were there to 'save' people and bring them to christ. So I guess bribing them to listen to you talk about god could work, but I didn't really like that they turned away one guy because he was 10 minutes late, and I don't really get why only christians should be given food. The centre wasn't open at any times other than the morning and afternoon services and the bible study, which I thought was a bit sad, because there didn't seem to be many conversations happening. They all sat in rows in the pews and ate their food silently, and the volunteers just kind of gave the food to them and they passed it down the line and noone really talked to anyone. If you look at the sf911 website, I think you can find a picture of it somewhere. I think I just missed the community feel that they had at Credo Cafe at Urban Seed in Melbourne, where everyone, even the volunteers eat together around the table. They also have prayers before these meals but you don't have to come to them. At the same time, what they were doing was really great, I just would have like to see a bit more community built, both between the helpers and the visitors.
I think the most entertaining part was talking to the people who worked there, both about the bible and politics/ american views. One of the Pastors in particular, talked a lot about the war, and his view (i thought) was kind of odd. He took the view that after 9/11, america's lifestyle was under threat, and so they had right to defend that. I asked about Iraq's culture, and he thought it hadn't really changed and if it meant that in 3 generations Iraqis were being brought up with christian values, it would make all of the suffering worth it. After all, people suffered when we went to war with Germany, but it was for the greater good eventually. Post any thoughts that you have on this, see if we can get a discussion happening! At what point is it ok to kill a person or culture? Is it ever! I'd love to hear some non-american thoughts on it!
There was also a 'gentlemans club' next door to the mission, and so I asked if they were doing any mission regarding that. The first response was that they prayed (which was always the typical american rant styly prayer, with every third work lord or god), and that they had been desperately praying for the owner, and that something would happen to make him stop, and a week later he had a heart attack and died. And apparently that was a good thing, even though another owner just took over. But the guy seemed to think this was quite an achievement!
So it was a very interesting 2 days, but among all of those bizarre things, there were a lot of cool things. It was a really relaxed, open, close community, not particularly focused on living simply, but about helping each other to live christianly. They had so much faith that god would provide for them, and they certainly had lots of food! Really different to anything I've seen in Australia, but they were doing cool stuff.
Let me know any thoughts you have on all of that, if you agree of disagree with any of my opinions, or want to know more. Sorry this has been so long!
Just went for another walk this arvo, and I mentally bought presents for all of you! Unfortunately, they won't fit in my bags so they had to stay in the shops but I kept finding things that made me think of different people. Heading off to Boston first thing tomorrow morning- it's going to be awesome going back!
Hope everyone's well and keep up the emailing/repling/texting!
Laura

10 comments:

Bron said...

Definitely not how I would run a soup kitchen but at least they're doing something right? And is something always better than nothing? And about the Iraq war... That guy sounds like George Bush...or at least very American...I don't think you can dismiss an entire culture like that!

Anyway, glad to see that you're experiencing different views, opinions, etc... but enjoy Boston! Try and relive those childhood memories lol.

Al said...

Hee heee, If my way of (american)life is the only true way of life I can justify anything!
Where in the gospels etc does it say to go to war if someone challenges your way of life? Didn't Jesus do that passively all the time?

Guess what we're in Byron Bay, Derek loves it & keeps meeting Kombies everywhere! I'll be in touch soon (i'll call) Al

Unknown said...

hey laura!! ame gave me your blog address, hope you don't mind. What you're doing sounds very exciting, hope it's going well! love kathryn

Laura Morgan said...

Hey Kathryn! Great to hear from you, of course that's fine! Read as much as you like!
Al, I've only seen 1 kombi since I got here, and 2 beetles (although one of them came straight after the Kombi, it was so cool!)Hope you're having an awesome time relaxing and having fun! I'll let you know about phone reception (or not), but please don't forget the time difference ;) Haha Bron, I think that's just because our mission in life is not to bible bash people, but conversion was definately the focus of their work...

Kaye said...

Yes there is a time difference Laura. Perhaps you should also remember that when you message people here! :)
You could always photos up on facebook or flickr and link to them, I'd love to see what Arlington looks like these days.
I hope that dude from the mission doesn't object to anything I do, I don't want to die from a heart attack. That is a very interesting philosophy.

Alice said...

JEALOUSY! I want nectarines! Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, although that guy sounds a bit weird...

Ame said...

Hi Laura!

Firstly Im just checking hta thtis comment works, as ive been having a bit of trouble...

Ame said...

Yes it works!

Yay! Hm, I think that these people sound a little bit arogant. Even though you might not agree with the way that someone lives their life, you should always respect them for who they are. And basic human needs should always come first.

Andrew said...

So am I reading this correctly?
- Going to war is OK because we need to defend the American way of life.
- It's OK to destroy the existing way of life / culture in Iraq, because it hasn't had a shake up in 30 years?

Reading between the lines:
It's the American way of life to tell people that they aren't living life the same way as we are, thus it must be wrong, or not "worth" as much?

I'm confused. Isn't everyone worth the world in God's eyes? No matter how they choose to live their life?

-AJ

Tamara Willman said...

I think its fair enough that if one thinks their family or culture is in threat that they feel the need to defend it. I reckon, however, it is not Iraq that is threatening America’s culture but that 9/11 was the catalyst of fear that began Americas own gradual destruction of their original values and culture based on the freedom that the Founders set up over 200 years ago, demonstrated in the growing restriction of the press, surveillance of society, imprisonment without charge or trial.

So, maybe it’s not the Pastors fault that he believes it in necessary to go to war with Iraq, his perception being a product of the media.

Personally, I think it is never ok to kill a person or culture, but I believe it is ok to kill the person who is using their power to manipulate the public into doing bad. For example, killing Hitler who manipulated a depressed and economically struggling German population into blaming the Jewish and other minorities groups for the problems of the country. But I suppose it’s a matter of fact that to get to Hitler innocent people get in the way.

The overall problem is that the pastor is not looking at the whole situation from a historical, social and global perspective; instead he is letting his fears guide him.

I don't know much about christianity, so i cant comment on that side of things...

On a large scale, this way of thought is very scary. What could it escalate to….?