Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Finally at York!


Well, after a not so direct route that took 2 months, I have finally arrived at York University in Toronto, which is very exciting! I've now moved into my room and settled in, and am now capable of making it to a few key spots on campus without getting lost, and I believe I've found the shortest route. The challenge of finding classrooms starts tomorrow, so that will be a test!
My room is small but cosy, and I'm slowly making it change from a small white room with boring furniture to something that looks a little more me- esque, which has been lots of fun. My apartment is made up of 2 identical bedrooms, a bathroom, and a gigantic closet, but currently the other room is still empty, so I don't know if I will end up sharing or having it all to myself! My building is largely made up of young families or couples, so I'm definately lacking in some of the social life that some of the other buildings have, but I can at least get to sleep without having to worry about whether there is a party in my building! Arwyn (my friend from uni) and I have had several shopping outing to different places around, have fallen in love with Walmart, started to explore the city, and begun to make friends. There have been (and will continue to be) several outings arranged for international students, which has helped us get to know other students going through the same problems as us, and also let there be a few familiar faces around campus, which has been good fun.
It's definitely been a bit of a challenge changing pace as I settle in here. At first it was very hard to just spend an afternoon or an evening relaxing in my room, but I'm slowly getting used to the idea that I will be here more than 3 days and so I don't have to see it all straight away! The other thing that has been interesting is adjusting to being around the same people regularly, and knowing that I do actually need to make friends with these people! In the hostels, I was really kind of enjoying not having to worry about building substantial relationships, as one of us would most likely be leaving the next day! I'm sure that once we get to know each other more I will enjoy being around them much more, but the getting to know each other and awkward conversations are taking some getting used to! It's been great having Arwyn here though, to see someone who I know and be able to talk through some of the challenges of both my travels and settling in here!
It's good fun being on campus though, and being able to join up with different sports and groups (except there are so many! At least 8 different christian groups alone! eek!), so I'm really looking forward to them starting up and getting involved and meeting more people! Just in case people were wondering, I'm thinking I will continue to blog while I'm here, not just about what I'm doing here, but also some thoughts that I have as I try and work out what I think of my experiences so far, and where I may want to take them from here. I also have some phone numbers that people can (PLEASE) call me on, cause I'd love to chat to you all and it totally makes my day when someone calls cause I feel like I'm not forgotten yet! My room number (probably the best one to chat on cause it's cheaper for both of us and I'm more likely to be doing nothing) is 0011-1-416-650-4311, but if you really want to talk to me and I'm not picking up, call my mobile on 0011-1-647-377-4251! Just no 4 am calls please :P I'm 14 hours behind you!
Hope all are doing well, and I hope to be a little more contactable once I finally get my internet set up in my room!
Laura

4 comments:

Alice said...

LAURA!
So glad to hear you are finally settled in and in one place! It must be tres exciting to have a bit of a base up there in the northern hemisphere.
Every now and then I try and work out which direction I should be looking to be looking towards you in canada but i'm not too great with directions and somehow always end up looking at the sky.
Glad to hear you are there safe and sound and can't wait to read hundreds more blogs!!!

Bron said...

4am calls??? who would be silly enough to do that??? Anyway, it was awesome catching up today :) i think i get the whole, having trouble having good conversations with people/getting to know pepole thing now. it must be tricky. but i hope that that is not letting you not have a good time, it doesn't sound like it! I will try and call soon...at a respecable hour :P Love Bron

Bron said...

hehe, plus, did you notice alice started her message with LAURA! It must be what the cool kids are doing...

Ame said...

yeah i too understand the awkward conversation thing! You should have seen me and the other gappies the first day or two that we were together. It was horrid actually, because two of them were from Germany, and German people tend to be more reserved around strangers. I'm NOT being racist by saying that, the girls often say to us that they really like Aussies because they are more open then Germans. As in, you can talk to random strangers and its easier to get to know other ppl. So we had a bit of a challenging time, but now we're like family so it's ok!! I'm sure you're going to meet so many interesting people! And SO glad that you're keeping up the blog!!! YAY!!!!!