Friday, August 15, 2008

Dream Center and Beyond

Well, it has been a little while since I've blogged, and I have to admit that I have been procrastinating for several days now, but I am now determined to bring you all up to date!
The Dream Center, where I was from the 7th-10th, was a surprisingly positive experience. I went into it a little apprehensive, because I had heard some interesting stories (anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, ask Alanee about the Dream Center) about the approaches that they took in attempts to bring people to christ- in short, what I like to call 'Bible Bashing'. I found though, that while their main focus was to get people to church and change their lives (which is after all the great commandment), they were also doing several other really positive things. I always feel a little conflicted in this area, because I'm really not sure that we should be going around convincing people to abandon their beliefs in other religions, telling them that their lives will be great if they just believe in God, and I have seen this approach take people further away from believing in God, yet the Bible pretty clearly tells us to tell everyone about God and make more followers. Hence me loving things such as the Kombi Krew, where we focus on creating positive relationships where people may feel comfortable considering new ideas. The Dream Center focused much more on telling people about God- praying for them, inviting them to church etc. While doing this however, they were handing out groceries in poorer neighbourhoods, giving out water and energy bars on Skid Row, or serving a hot lunch in a shelter. And most people didn't shy away from people bringing up god- in fact, many of them loved to share their experiences, or interpretations of the bible (some of which probably wouldn't be taught in Bible College), and were really keen to be prayed with and share their problems. It always amazes me what strong faith many homeless have, despite terrible things that happen to me. I met one woman who had just had her 83rd birthday, and when I tried to congratulate her, she refused, saying that it was thanks to God, she had done nothing. This woman was homeless, on her own and wearing a hard hat, and yet she still believed that God was so good.
One of the other focuses was to invite people to church. Because many people did not have transport, they sent out buses to a wide range of different areas in LA to pick people up and take them to church, and then gave them free pizza on the way home (is bribery a sin?). The services were quite flashy, and very much about how celebrating that we were save because of Jesus etc, but that was really what these people needed to hear. It was very different to many styles of worship, but it was well aimed at the people that needed it, and it engaged them and kept them interested, which seemed to me to be a positive thing. Overall, it was an interesting few days because it was so different to how I would think to do things, but at the same time what they were doing was really great, and they were really appreciated in the community. Someone said to me, the way to tell if a church is successful is to think that if it closed one day, would the neighbourhood notice? They really would have noticed if the Dream Center closed, because they were so visible in so many productive ways. Some people didn't want to know, but others recieved us really positively.
After that, I flew up to New York for 2 nights, and have spent the last 3 night in Philadelphia with my second cousin. I think one of the most amazing things about my trip has been the hospitality that I've recieved from people who barely know me, but are happy to look after me and show me around because they knew my parents or are related to me or got an email from a girl they had never heard of expressing interest in what they're doing. It's been really great to have these days in Philadelphia, to just really relax and get some energy back, as well as get shown around. I can't believe in just over a week I will be in Toronto and my travelling will be over for now! It's been absolutely amazing, but I am a little sick of packing and unpacking my bag every few days, and it will be good to settle in at York and make some longer term friends!
Hope you are all doing well, and I'm still working through the letters you all wrote, but I love reading them and it's a great way to feel loved when I need it! Thank you!
Laura

1 comment:

Ame said...

yay, first one to commment!

It is so great to hear about your experiences Laura, it seems to me that God is really teaching you some unexpected things and blessing you with the hospitality of beautiful people! It's so fantastic that God can take our preconceptions and turn them upside down hey!! The Dream Centre may not have been what you were expecting, maybe evangalising isn't such a dirty word??

I wonder how you're going to bring all of this stuff back home with you next year?

Sending all of my love and prayers to you! (ps ahve you opened the envelope that I wrote to you that says only to open if you want to be grossed out or something along those lines i cant remember eactly what I wrote)
Amé